Thursday, October 14, 2010

"MMT"

So tonight before I went to bed ("hit the wheat" as we call it in our flat) I decided to go organize a few things and clear out some old e-mails.  Incredibly enough, I stumbled upon an e-mail that I don't remember reading from ages ago from a really good friend of mine.  There was a quote, then a URL link to a website called "Made Me Think".  I was just skimming through it at first, and then it got to the point where I just wanted to keep reading them.  It was a little difficult to get through, seeing as it is similar to "fml" and "mlia" where you have some completely off the wall stupid things that people write, but this was different in the sense that there were a lot of really inspiring stories.

Reading these stories made me think a LOT about my life--crazy how something as silly as an internet page can make you think a lot! It's strange to look at my life and see all of the superficial points to it--you know what I mean, the material things in life, etc etc.  It's all too easy to forget that even the little things can matter so much.  I am thankful every day for the friends that I have met and stayed strong with me, I am thankful for the incredible family I have who love me unconditionally and forgive me when I make mistakes, and for the food, water, shelter, and memories that I am lucky enough to have been given, and to make.  I sometimes forget that I am insanely lucky, which when I look at the never ending list of blessings I have received seems crazy to ever forget, but somehow it happens.  I need to work on remembering every day and thanking those people who make my life so incredible, and who I love to the ends of the earth and back.  My best friend may know that I love them, but sometimes it's just a good thing to remind them.  Thinking about these things also reminds me how much and why I want to be an educator.  Just the opportunity to shape and change lives and inspire people is amazing.  What better job can you have than positively changing lives?

Atti and I spent the evening watching videos and pictures of each of our hometowns.  It was so fun and interesting to be able to look at videos of places in Hungary that I've never even heard of, and learn the names and stories behind those places.  In particular, we watched a video from his hometown which talked about how cities forgive you for leaving, and will always welcome you back into your HOME.  (Rough translation on my part--the video was in Hungarian entirely so Atti had to translate it for me!)  My favorite part was about the bench...it's hard to explain without seeing it, but all in all the video was just about always returning to your roots, to your home.  I love New Zealand so much, but I think there will be a sense of love and comfort by just going home next month.  However, on the flip side, we all talked tonight about how we don't particularly want to go home yet.  Finally it feels like we are all moved in, we are all close, we are all in our own sets of routines, etc etc and now it feels like we can begin.  But instead of beginning, we are going to go back to our homes.

Imola made a good point to me the other day at lunch though--when we go home, instead of being sad about it, it's just another brand new adventure.  We will all get to go home to relearn about our homes and families and friends.  We will have to again become adjusted to a [new] place, and move back into our old lives.  It will be very interesting to see how everything works out in the end.  Until then, I can't believe how impossibly lucky I am--so thanks to everyone who inspires me, loves me, and forgives me--you really make all the difference in the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment