Thursday, November 4, 2010

And So It Ends

So as this year rolls to an end, I find myself looking back at this incredible journey.  It was more than just a simple study abroad, it was more than just an adventure to 'find myself', it was more than just a social party all the time.  Being able to live in another country for 5 months, smack dab in the middle of the culture, language, schooling, way of life, was priceless.  Over the past 5 months I have seen beautiful places, heard incredible music, read cleverly crafted literature, learned about both the Maori and Pakeha sides of the country.  I have sat down with people from all over the world to discuss religion, language, culture, politics, ideas. I have spent countless hours completely enamored and engulfed in this experience--no wonder it went by so quickly!

Now it is coming to the time where I have to say goodbye.  I must wrap up loose ends, finish my last exams, and return to my old life.  The fact that I am leaving something I love very very much to experience the uncomfortable field of transitioning and readjusting to how things were does not help me want to go back any faster.  Part of the awkwardness of the situation is just in my head; I think that things will not be too bad when I move back.  However, there is that part of me that still is persistently reminding me that I am different.  I will go back to a world where no one has changed yet I have...I must learn patience to deal with that when I move back.

All things aside, I have compiled a list of things I will miss/not miss about NZ.  Please not the not miss section may be significantly smaller... :)


------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Things I Will Not Miss About NZ
  1. Evil screaming attack birds
  2. No central heating!
  3. Men in super short shorts and mullets/rat tails



Things I Will Miss About NZ
  1. The people~!!
  2. Day trips to beautiful places
  3. Huge uni classes [despite culture shock!]
  4. "Sweet as", "bru", "as as", "Cheers", "no worries"
  5. Inside jokes with my flatmates
  6. Movie nights
  7. All Blacks ... stuff
  8. Kiwi accents
  9. Kebab shop
  10. Everyone's relaxed way of dressing/living
  11. Crazy Castle Street
  12. The fact that people burn couches down here...
  13. Dunedin. Just in general :)
  14. Isite Centres
  15. Maori culture/language
  16. My double bed!
  17. My [clean] flat
  18. Flat dinners
  19. Picnics & potlucks
  20. Exploring new cultures via international students
  21. New World [other than fruit/veggie prices! haha]
  22. Pineapple Lumps & Hokey Pokey Ice cream
  23. Tim Tam Slams!
  24. "Our Place"
  25. Outdoor clothes line [in Oregon would never work!]
  26. Bipolar weather
  27. My best friend
  28. Having classes 2 days a week, T/R
  29. Freedom, Independence
  30. My favorite pharmacy! haha
  31. New Zealand literature
  32. NZ Films....Eagle Vs. Shark anyone?
  33. Tui billboards
  34. Visiting Claire at work
  35. Getting awesome Care Packages!
  36. Cooking daily with Carson
  37. Lack of desire really cool places to go shopping
  38. Dancing
  39. Not having to work, too much time to socialize :)
  40. Everything being spelled differently
  41. "So you're a kiwi so I thought I would ask...."
  42. "About that.........."
  43. Claire giving me guff about silly things. like everything. :)
  44. The country of New Zealand
  45. Pretty much everything....

No comments:

Post a Comment