Thursday, October 7, 2010

Best Sisters

Recently my 'sister' (she was an exchange student and lived with me back home for a year, and then I went and visited her) flew from her home to NZ to come visit me!  After a year and a half of not being able to see her, it was the biggest excitement!  She had a long journey, so I'm sure that she enjoyed finally being able to be in the country!  We were lucky enough to be able to visit Dunedin (she got to experience our lovely HAIL), Christchurch (stunning weather, the best time to visit!!), & Auckland (for Americans, heads up that Sky Tower = Space Needle.  Doesn't mean it's any less amazing though!).  We were able to do tons of different touristy things (Cadbury Chocolate Factory Tour anyone??) , eat WAY too much, tour major museums, and I honestly cannot remember the last time I have laughed so incredibly hard.

Sky Tower (Auckland)

Starbucks with my sister ♥


We had a joke that I would only see her when I had my wedding, and seeing as [hopefully] that is still a bit away, it was nice to be able to see her beforehand!  We have many other trips in mind for future dates so that we can see each other, which would be so nice.  It made it IMPOSSIBLE to be homesick anymore; how could one be homesick with their best friend and sister with them? Exactly.  (Not saying the only reason I want her around is so I am not homesick haha)  But thinking about it, brought up the point of the "W" that was explained to me before I left for this adventure.

There is a "W" created when you leave for somewhere on a journey similar to this--You begin extremely excited to be somewhere new, then you begin on the downward stretch of finding that you miss things from your home or that cultures are very different, and then you hit rock bottom which is when you are extremely homesick and miserable (I just finally passed through that stage a couple weeks ago) and then on the upswing you enjoy everything, and fall in love with it.  Unfortunately, it is a W because the same process is repeated once you go home.  For me, I recently just completely re-fell in love with New Zealand...I'm really wondering if I have to come home after all?

No comments:

Post a Comment